Saturday, September 5, 2009

The march of the ruffles....



I am working on my ruffles for the craft fair. I can't believe it's a week from tomorrow! I am trying a pattern out for denim and corduroy ruffles. I thought I was being very efficient by cutting up some beautiful cotton ruffles, only to discover I cut them out in capri length. Now the question... do I sew them up or wait till spring? I sewed a couple because I thought they would look cute with boots...we'll see.


Today was bittersweet. A local quilt store closed its doors today. They had some beautiful fabrics and a great selection of sisboom basics(which we know ...are my favorites). A week and a half ago everything was 50% off and I picked out my favorites. Then on Wed everything went to 75% off and I made sure to pick up the black and brown zebra. Today all fabric was 90% off. That is about 92 cents a yard. And if you finished the bolt another 10%. Needless to say, I pulled all the sisboom of the shelves, I felt like I was rescuing the fabric (lol).
While the deals were amazing and I spent about $70 on $700 worth of fabric, it felt bittersweet. The owner was there and it was sad to watch the store disassemble around her. We are living in such tough times economically and it is disheartening when a small local business closes. It is a deep hidden dream of mine to one day own a fabric store and I imagine it must be heartbreaking. However I did "rescue" quite a bit of fabric and I can't wait to play with it!

No comments:

Post a Comment