Saturday, October 2, 2010

Six weeks and counting...






My life is consumed with the Holiday Fair at Grand Central Terminal. I am thinking fabrics, logos, booth etc... about 90% of the time. I am excited to be returning to NYC where my love for sewing began.

I learned to sew at the New York Shakespeare Festival working in the costume shop when I first arrived in NYC. I was only 20 years old and had worked for two years at a dinner theater in CT as the wardrobe girl and was ready to make the move to NYC with my friend Nina. After one week working in the Macy's purse department at Herald Square, I got a call from Milo - the headmaster of the NYSF costume shop which made costumes for the Public Theater, Shakespeare in Central Park and Broadway Shows. Milo was very old school, well respected and a bit feared in the costume world of New York Theatre. He always looked meticulous and ran a very tight ship and expected excellence from all who worked there. Milo was known to have grand tantrums and arguments when things did not meet his standards. He could also be very generous to those who worked for him and gave me many great opportunities.
The memory of Milo standing at the cutting table inspecting each garment as it left the shop stays with me today. I was very fortunate to learn and work with top costume designers and watch as costumes went from sketches to muslin mock ups to the stage. I learned that all the details are important from color shades to the cut, to the finishing of a garment. Creating beautiful clothes is a process and there are no shortcuts if it is to be well made. As I work to prepare for this show at Grand Central - it is this training that pushes me forward.

I think about it all the time -

No comments:

Post a Comment